This week I was able to learn more about business improvement process. Owning my business in production it is key to know this process. I feel having a team always on watch to figure out how to improve the system is key to success in the business. We live a world when people want things yesterday. I own a nursery and this is hard, because the fastest I can turn around is 1 year in production change. However, over the years we have improved the quality of producing the plants through innovation. My brother has been key to seeing the success on this. We are able to pot up 20,000 #1 container plants with only 3 people, while the rest of the industry will do that with 9 people. This process has allowed us to be the greatest value nursery in Oregon because our labor count is low. I do have a great team to realize, even though we have achieved a great triumph we cannot sit too long to gloat of our success. We believe here that we are continuously improving the process so we are always ahead of the game.
This week was awesome to explore more about existing franchises. I feel there is some great money to be made in owning franchises. I know that you can't buy a franchise and expect it to run on its own without you. However, if you have good employees and share the vision of what you are trying to accomplish you able to have minimum manual labor. My goal in about 4 years is to buy a franchise. By then my purchasing agreement with my existing business will be paid off. They say the best way to make money is to buy a business and have someone else manage it for you. A franchise has standard procedures already in place so it should be easy to have someone else manage for you.
The weather continues to be bad here in Oregon. We should see a break in the weather this upcoming weekend. My business all it takes is one big order and it makes money. The weather is warming up, I just need the rain to stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment