Friday, March 3, 2017

Hire the Best

This week we were able to read about Jet Blue Airline.  They are a good company that has a lot of similarity of SWA.  However, they are not unionized.  They treat their employees well, they did not make a cookie cutter HR program. They understood the market for employees and knew the employees had different needs and wants.  By spending a great deal on HR of the company you can become a better machine to find people.

Hiring people is not a simple thing.  We want the best, but are we willing to do what it takes to get the best. We have to take the time to find people.  Dave Ramsey taught, "you should give yourself 60 days to find and hire someone for your position."  But before you do that you need to have a good idea what you are looking for.  The requirements to do so are: have a good job description written out, a compensation package figure out, and good questions to ask for the interview.

In my personal experience I have had some good hires, but I have had some really bad ones.  It wasn't the people fault that I hired people and later fired them, it was mine.  I did not take the real time to find out what I wanted.  Once I found out what I wanted, then I can know what to ask and how much I wanted to pay the person.

My $100 challenge is not going as well as I was hoping.  This weekend is another downer.  The rain is here and people are keeping themselves away from working outside.  I don't blame them, but my business is very seasonal.  I do know that once the weather does break it will be a great sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment