Friday, March 24, 2017

Family Business

Do you go on your own or do you join ranks in the family and participate in the family business?  These are questions that are not the easiest to answer.  We feel that we need to have that pioneering spirit and do it on own.  However, we feel a sense of loyalty to take over the family business.  Both scenarios can bring wealth and freedom we all want from owning a business.

Coming from my own personal experience in the family business.  It is hard to run a business and have a cordial conversation with the family if something ugly happens at work.  Last year there were 4 siblings running the day to day task, now there is only 2.  The interesting part is the two that are here are the ones who came in last.  My advice to all who go into a family business is to document any agreement.  Make sure the responsibility are written up and agreed on.  Make sure the compensation is discussed.  Also make sure you discuss what is going to happen to the next generation and what is to be done with this generation when you want out of the business.  I currently get along with my sibling/partner, because we have had mutual respect for each other and we have documented the agreements.  We have become very successful.  I feel if you put God into your family business He will harmonize the business.

As for my charity business.  I am happy to say I have reach over $100 profit.  The weather has been so bad here, but I found someone who needed about $175 worth of plants.  By the time I pay back the cost of the containers I come out with $150 of profit.  If the weather was more favorable, I know I could have sold 5 times that.  In the month of March we have only 3 days of no traceable rain.  We have had some nice morning or nice afternoon, but weather is being my biggest foe right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment