Thursday, February 16, 2017

Is the Customer Always Right?

I have been in sales/customer service for over 10 years.   I am not sure if I feel that a customer is always right.  I am in the wholesale business and the people that I work with are knowledgeable about the product we sell.  I feel when a "customer is always right" is in the retail.  However, in the wholesale business I think the customer and the vendor are more on the same playing field.

My father taught me, "if someone comes up to you and buys from you and you don't know him/her from Adam, then be very cautious".  What my father was illustrating to me was that relationship is very important.  I have had to questions long standing customers request for credits or returns not because they were wrong, but if they had gotten all their facts right.  I believe instead of "Customer is Always" to say "Always Communicate with your Customers".  When you communicate extensively then you can assess the situation if the customer is right nor not.

This weeks progress on my business has halted because the weather here in Portland is nasty.  People will not come out and buy plants when 6" inches of rain falls on you in a week.  We need about a week of nice weather before people will come and buy.  Mostly because the ground is so wet.  However, I have taken pictures and are ready to put it on Craiglists on first day of a long range forecast of nice weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment